Wednesday, February 21, 2007

International Thoughts: Retroactive post from LiveJournal

Prompted by reading Time, BBC, IHT, and NY Times articles for the last few days, I've been struck by a few differences between America and the rest of the world. I'll preface this by saying that I've only recently moved from the US, and while I wouldn't say that I'm anti-American, I've realized that it is not the place I plan nor even want to live for the next big chunk of my life.

So today, I read a few articles about the economic growth of certain Chinese cities and the dissatisfaction that many Japanese people feel despite the economic growth in it's country. They reminded me of the shortcomings of capitalism in creating happy citizens, something that I've read time and time again. I think another ideological battle is due in the future, it doesn't surprise me Islam is growing at the rate that it is. People are looking for other alternatives for their lifestyles.

I'm not saying that I don't participate in the capitalist cycle, just saying that it makes me want to be more aware and active in making a change. The other thing that struck me was that in America, we focus so much on one another's race, even if it is in a positive sense, whereas in other countries like China for instance, the emphasis is placed on wealth. The more material wealth you display determines how people behave and react around you. Obviously this makes sense, because the level of ethnic diversity is much greater in the US than in countries like China or Japan.

Anyway, not necessarily sure how I feel about that, just thought it was something to note.

No comments: