Saturday, March 11, 2006

My Aunt is Off the Heezy: Retroactive Post

Ok, let me first preface this by saying that I love my aunt. My dad's side of the family is way more fun and funny than my mom's side and I think that it's because they like to drink. I'm staying with her and her Japanese husband, my Uncle Sam (Isamu), and they're both really awesome people.

My aunt, Tita Elvie, is, despite having lived here in Japan for the past 20 years, still hella Filipino. She was worried when she found out that I wanted to go to Japan and that I would likely be living with them, because she speaks Japanese and Tagolog despite being able to understand English since she had to study it in school, and I only know how to speak English, and have a limited comprehension of Tagalog. Not only was she worried that we wouldn't be able to communicate with one another, but she tells me that she, like her Filipina friends, avoid English speaking people like the plague because they don't want to embarrass themselves by not being able to speak it correctly simply because they never use it. This being the reason that my aunt has told me why none of her friends have come to visit her on their days off. But that's not the point of this little story.

My aunt and uncle Sam, I have found are accustomed to having a fruity alcoholic drink (like beer) or two every day, usually at dinner. And usually by the end of dinner, we will sit around and talk, and exchange stories and my aunt will sometimes joke about the fact that she's already drinking. Well today, i found out just how funny she is when she does. We had already finished dinner and were relaxing in our rooms, and my aunt came into mine to tell me something about tomorrow since it is my

So she gets to my door and says, Sarah Kay, tomorrow...not early...not in the morning...but later...after one...or twelve...after...later...And she seriously couldn't do more that look at me, because she couldn't think of 'afternoon' until I said it, at which point we're both laughing at her, and she says that it's because she's already under the alcohol. Then she tells me that in the afternoon, as we're both still laughing, my uncle Sam will drive me around in the Mercedes (bearing in mind that this is their truck) and that I'll need to wear my party dress, because my Uncle Sam will be driving me around in it. And continues to repeat this to make sure I understand her, but all I can do is laugh, and I'm still not sure if she was serious about me wearing my party dress or not.

Anyway, I guess you just had to be there. I'll post more pics later, but this one goes out to you tita.

No comments: