Wednesday, March 8, 2006

On Being a Foreigner: Retroactive Post

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've been having some technical difficulties with myspace. So, since I left off the last time, I had been held up at both the Tokyo Narita airport and the Nagoya, had to take a bus to catch the plane on the tarmac, was stalled by Tokyo snow, couldn't find my luggage in baggage claim, had to go through customs and finally, found my aunt and uncle.

Now that I've been here a few days, I have to tell you guys that I absolutely love it here. Nagoya is not crowded like Tokyo, even downtown Nagoya (Sakae) is about as crowded as downtown Seattle, and it reminds me a lot of Vancouver. It's very clean: there's no litter on the sidewalks; safe: everyone leaves their bicycles (jidensha) on the sidewalk, not locked up at all; and there's a lot of things in English, so I don't get too confused. I've been working on my nihongo and I hope that by the time I leave here, I'll be fluent in it.

As for what I've been up to, you can check out pics from my first three days here: Japan. They go in chronological order. On my second night here, Sa-chan, my cousin's gf, her daughter Riko-chan, who is eleven and I were trying to exchange languages, so I would try to ask what something was, and she'd tell me in nihongo, and then I would tell her what it was in English. It was hella funny, being 22 years old and having an elementary vocabulary. Also, I have to tell you guys, just how jealous I am of all the Japanese girls and guys here. They're all hella stylish and I need one of you to come and visit me here so that I have a shopping buddy, and then I can be kawai (cute) too! Also, here's a link to some pictures of things that I found entertaining while here in Japan: Interesting... Yesterday, I took the chikatetsu (subway) by myself and I even went to a convenience store and the supermarket and bought stuff alone. I pretty much went, Hai, hai, arigatoo gozaimas! But, hey, it got the job done.

Anyway, I'm gonna work on my Japanese before I attempt trying to travel to another city or town, but I really want to go to Kyoto, and see the geishas. Sometime in the next few weeks we're all gonna go to the Nagoya Castle for the sakura viewings. I'll post pics once I go. As for now, I hope that you're all doing well. Leave me a comment if you want anything from here (Jorge, I've already got you down buddy!). Take care!

No comments: